It’s important that children are given not only shelter, food & clothing but tools to help them to love themselves. Unfortunately, this is a common skill that kids lack! It’s a caretaker’s responsibility to provide kids with tools to help them feel more confident about themselves. This could minimize anxiety and depressive symptoms in addition to self-harming behaviors. This is just a quick reference, however if you have other options to add, please feel free to leave a comment with the suggestion!
1. Teach your kids about their characteristics.
2. Normalize the behaviors that do not cause harm to themselves or others.
3. Avoid calling them weird if they do things differently from you.
4. Support & encourage their interests.
5. Talk to them to get a better understanding of the things they enjoy.
6. Normalize their differences from others by making them feel good & not bad.
7. Find things that are unique about yourself and share it with them.
8. Allow them to make mistakes! Remember you were once their age and didn’t know it all.
Check out our Wellness Services & Products page for additional resources.