To better prepare your child for building their critical thinking skills you can engage them in a natural conversation about various topics.
Critical thinking skills are important because it allows your children to build on the knowledge they will obtain throughout their lives. It also promotes independence and builds self-confidence with speaking in general.
Here are some questions to ask your children when speaking with them about specific things or after reading a book:
1. What are your thoughts about this topic?
2. How did you come up with those thoughts?
3. What emotions do you feel talking about this topic?
4. What else would you like to learn about this topic?
5. How can I help you better understand?
Follow up with more discussion by providing them with your feedback and opinions.
It’s necessary to teach your child how to have a conversation, effectively communicate with others and build confidence in speaking on different subjects.
These tips can promote growth for all youth including growing parent/child bonds, no matter the age!
Check out our Wellness Services & Products page for additional resources.